West Essex CERT is part of something much bigger and so are its members. The Community Emergency Response Team is a national program that falls under Homeland Security. Our members view that relationship as an opportunity to serve our community and our nation when directed by our local Office of Emergency Management.
When deployed, we perform as a team supporting each other as we support our local first responders. To do that, we are trained and tested through the NJ State Police. The training is invaluable because as a CERT member, you learn to take care of your home safety first, then you deploy. So you may say that we use our training to serve the community but we are more likely to manage safety in our homes year-round. Wow, that gives members an incredible sense of empowerment.
Throughout the year, members are also offered supplemental training. Autism, shelter, point of distribution, hazardous waste, fire, gas, and search and rescue name a few.
Interested in Training? Reach us through our contact page and like us on our West Essex CERT facebook. We post public training first on facebook, then on this website.
In the certification course, you will learn:
- Disaster Preparedness: Addresses hazards specific to the community. Materials cover actions that participants and their families take before, during and after a disaster as well as an overview of CERT and local laws governing volunteers.
- Fire Suppression: Covers fire chemistry, hazardous materials, fire hazards and fire suppression strategies. However, the thrust of this session is the safe use of fire extinguishers, controlling utilities and extinguishing a small fire.
- Medical Operations Part I: Participants practice diagnosing and treating airway obstruction, bleeding and shock by using simple triage and rapid treatment techniques.
- Medical Operations Part II: Covers evaluating patients by doing a head to toe assessment, establishing a medical treatment area and performing basic first aid.
- Light Search and Rescue Operations: Participants learn about search and rescue planning, size-up, search techniques, rescue techniques and rescuer safety.
- Psychology and Team Organization: Covers signs and symptoms that might be experienced by the disaster victim and workers, and addresses CERT organization and management.
- Course Review and Disaster Simulation: Participants review and practice the skills that they have learned during the previous six sessions in a disaster activity.
We look forward to you joining an incredible group of community leaders by becoming a CERT member in your community. Thank you for your service!